Wednesday, July 10, 2013

62. what is fasting about?

McD for dinner before the first day of fasting haha.

Today marks the first day of ramadan, where millions of Muslims around the world begin their annual ritual of fasting for one month as decreed by God himself. Earlier today, on the way to work, a conversation took place between me and my boyfriend - please read this with an open mind and try not to be offended about it.

We were talking about the hardest challenge when it comes to fasting. My answer? To not drink coffee early in the morning. He was surprised, as he thought I would give a more spiritual, and not physical answer.
Him: What do you think puasa is about?
Me: Hmm I guess it means to refrain yourself from letting anything enter your body from sunset until sunrise.
Him: Okay, what about sex, or masterbation? Do you think it's alright for a guy to do it during puasa?
Me: Of course that's wrong!
Him: Why is it wrong? You're not putting anything in yourself, kan?
Me: Because you're not supposed to. Because that's just weird. You're suppose to fast from that too. From the less innocent things.
Him: Aha, so now you realize it's not just about food, right?
He actually made me realize that this whole month of Ramadan is a chance for me to reflect on myself, my actions and intentions. That this month is not just about not eating, but the thoughts and ideas going on in my head.

I don't pray much, but after sahur (breakfast) I felt the need to pray. There was just an overwhelming need to submit myself to Him. I feel the change inside of me, to become a better Muslim. I hope the month of Ramadan will help guide me, and I hope to pray at all times. And this time, there's no syaitan to blame if I waver from praying. It's all on me.
In Islam, fasting for a month is an obligatory practice during the holy month of Ramadan, from fajr (dawn), until the maghrib (dusk).Muslims are prohibited from eating, drinking (including water), and engaging in sexual activity. They are also encouraged to temper negative emotions such as anger and addiction. Fasting in the month of Ramadan is one of the Pillars of Islam, and thus one of the most important acts of Islamic worship. By fasting, whether during Ramadan or other times, a Muslim draws closer to God by abandoning bodily pleasures, such as food and drink. This makes the sincerity of their faith and their devotion to God (Arabic: Allah) all the more evident.
Muslims believe that fasting is more than abstaining from food and drink.  During the sacred month of Ramadan, believers strive to purify body and soul and increase their taqwa (good deeds and God-consciousness). This purification of body and soul harmonizes the inner and outer spheres of an individual.
Happy fasting to all during this holy and blessed month!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment :) I love any opinions, feedback, that sort of things. Let me know if you have any questions and I will respond!