Monday, July 15, 2013

63. food review - waroeng iga @ one utama - 12 july 2013

I was gonna catch up with one of my girlfriends, Hawa, at One Utama, for breaking fast. After walking around, I suggested breaking fast at Waroeng Iga, an Indonesian ribs-specialty restaurant that had just opened in One Utama. It had some good reviews from a local Facebook group, so we booked a table at 7 pm.

The restaurant had looked very empty upon our arrival at 7 pm. We placed our orders. Hawa ordered nasi ayam penyet (flattened chicken with white rice), my boyfriend ordered nasi iga bakar cabe ijo (ribs in spicy green chilli sauce with white rice) and I ordered set nasi goreng iga spesial.

They gave us dates to break fast, very considerate of them. But by 7.30 pm with no sight of our food, me and Hawa left for prayers, and came back 15 minutes later, with just white rice on the table. Oh, dear. My boyfriend left for prayers, and at 7.50 pm, only the ayam penyet and iga cili hijau had arrived. I enquired the waiter about it (foreigner), who slapped his head, saying 'ajoooo' and hit his colleague on the arm. I guess my food was forgotten.

Set nasi goreng iga spesial

My boyfriend returned for prayers and my food still did not arrive. My meal finally arrived at 8.20 pm, one hour and 20 minutes after I had placed my order. I was so hungry that I scoffed down my meal. I guess you could say it was very delicious, but I was disappointed that a meal of fried rice came with only two small pieces of fried ribs (as you can see from the picture).  Price was around RM 20.

Iga bakar cabo ijo
The iga bakar cabo ijo was surprisingly delicious. The ribs was tender and spicy, though would have loved it to be more spicy. For the price (RM 18 ish), the portion was surprisingly small.

Ayam penyet
I didn't try the ayam penyet, but the portion was really, really, small. I think this restaurant caters to people who don't eat much...

Pisang coklat susu manis

We then ordered dessert, pisang coklat susu manis, which turned out to be just one banana split into two, sprinkled with condensed milk, chocolate sauce and cheese. Although delicious, the price for such a dessert was appallingly expensive. This was RM 6.90 (if memory serves me correctly).

Verdict:
Despite the delicious dishes, I was put off by this restaurant with the miniscule portion, overpricing of drinks, and especially the long wait. It doesn't portray itself as a high-end eatery, so I was definitely expecting big portions. 

As it is a new restaurant manned by foreign workers, I hope that they will improve this food establishment so they don't have customers fuming. One hour and 20 minutes waiting time for main course and 30 minutes for dessert is not acceptable, with the bill racking up to RM 86 for just the three of us. Expect to fork out between RM 25 - RM 30 per person for a cuisine you can eat cheaper at Warong Penyet (The Curve). I think I would have enjoyed eating at a fast food restaurant such as Chili's better. However, I would go back just for the iga cili hijau. 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Waroeng.Iga 
Cleanliness: 5/5
Ambience: 4/5
Service: 0/5
Price: 3/5
Food: 4/5
Overall: 2/5

1 comment:

  1. This is a good review about Waroeng Iga, thanks for share it to your friends :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment :) I love any opinions, feedback, that sort of things. Let me know if you have any questions and I will respond!